Sheriff and Jail 010825 17-01102025143029.jpg (copy)

Dane County will no longer provide the federal government with records of previous inmates at the county jail who had been convicted of crimes and were believed to be noncitizens, according to county officials.

Dane County will no longer provide the federal government with the names of former jail inmates who were believed to be undocumented immigrants.

The Dane County Sheriff’s Office had previously provided retroactive information on the immigration status of certain inmates in exchange for thousands in federal funding.

The decision to withdraw came after the Cap Times published an investigation into the office’s participation in the program, which had funneled more than $634,000 to the county during President Donald Trump’s first term in office.

“After listening to concerns from our community and considering the actions taken by the new administration, I have decided to cease our involvement with the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program,” Sheriff Kalvin Barrett said in a statement emailed to the Cap Times.

In a separate, earlier statement sent to the Cap Times, Dane County Executive Melissa Agard said the decision reflects a new reality during a second term under Trump.

“My office has had ongoing conversations with local leaders and stakeholders about the impact of this program, and it’s clear that continuing participation does not align with our community’s values,” Agard wrote.

“With the return of the Trump Administration, we recognize that federal immigration policies will take a drastic turn — one that does not reflect the inclusive and welcoming community we strive to be. Sheriff Barrett’s decision acknowledges this new reality and ensures that Dane County remains committed to fairness, dignity and the well-being of all who call this community home.”

The State Criminal Alien Assistance Program, or SCAAP, is a voluntary agreement with the federal government that provides grants to reimburse local police agencies for the costs associated with incarcerating noncitizens who have been convicted of crimes. Information the county sent to a federal agency was then forwarded to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

In recent years, the county has received an average of $90,000 annually, according to information provided to the Cap Times by the sheriff’s office. 

“While the information compiled for these grant dollars was historical and posed little concern amongst our diverse community in the past, times have changed and we must adapt accordingly. Additionally, the process of compiling data for this grant required significant staff time," Barrett said. "Moving forward, those resources will be redirected toward more impactful initiatives in our jail, such as re-entry coordination and rehabilitation programming, which better serve our mission of public safety and community well-being.” 

The American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin, which has been critical of local police involvement in federal immigration policy, praised Dane County's decision on Thursday.

"We are glad that Dane County has joined the other Wisconsin counties standing strong against this administration’s deportation machine,” ACLU senior staff attorney Tim Muth said. “Local law enforcement faces a choice: Refuse to cooperate with ICE, or be unnecessarily complicit in fearmongering and tearing apart families. We urge each department in Wisconsin to take seriously their charge of public safety and service to the community.”

The sheriff’s decision to withdraw from the program was first published by Channel3000. 

Related: Trump's 'mass deportation' likely to face legal challenges

Erin McGroarty is a politics reporter for the Cap Times. Erin writes about Wisconsin politics with a focus on state government and elections. Email story ideas and tips to Erin at emcgroarty@captimes.com or call (608) 252-6433.

Please consider supporting Erin’s work by becoming a Cap Times member or sponsor. Sustaining local journalism in Madison depends on readers like you.